Sunday, May 8, 2011

not good

Well after all the trips to the hospital, my dad found out Wednesday that his tumor was indeed cancerous. He ended up having surgery on Thursday to help fix his bone cancer. I went up to the hospital and skipped my first class to make sure he was going to be alright. After the surgery he was pretty much worn out (plus he did not get a whole lot of sleep the night before) so he ended up sleeping. I left the hospital and went to my last class of the day. My step-mother was sending me updates so I would not have to worry so much about not being there. Right after class I headed straight back to Barnes Jewish Hospital. He was sleeping when I got there. My step-mother, her parents, my godfather, and my grandparents were all still at the hospital. They were able to remove 98% of the tumor and are planning on giving him chemo for the rest of the tumor. He should be ok. This was a huge relief to me because the day before the surgery he was telling me how the life expectancy for bone cancer is around two to five years. Not exactly the statistic a son wants to hear about his father.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear that everything will be okay! Cancer is a very scary thing. It is crazy to think with all of the advanced medicine that we have, there is still no cure. Cancer runs high in my family on my mother’s side. Unfortunately, I smoke which just increases my chances. I seriously need to quit, but I can’t. I haven’t tried any over the counter treatments yet, but I did quit for three days this past winter on my own. I was really sick one day so I didn’t smoke the whole day. After the first 24hrs, I realized that I did it, so I kept myself busy. By the third day, I was doing great until I got into my car to drive. It was like a trigger within five minutes I picked it back up again. If I could go back in time that is one thing I would definitely change about my life.

    ReplyDelete